Monday, July 15, 2013

The Path I Feard to See


Hi Family!
How is everyone doing? You are all super busy! I heard from a lot of you this week, and I feel like I should share this poem with you all. I have memorized it and whenever I am feeling down I recite it.

The Path I Feared to See
George Macdonald

I said, " Let me walk in the fields."
He said, " No, walk in the town."
I said, " There are no flowers there."
He said, " No flowers, but a crown."

I said, " But the skies are black,
there is nothing but noise and din."
And he wept as he sent me back,
" there is more." He said, " there is sin."

I said, " But the air is thick,
and fogs are vieling the sun."
He answered, " Yet souls are sick,
and souls in the dark undone."

I said, " I shall miss the light,
and friends will miss me, they say."
He said, " Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you or they."

I pleaded for time to be given.
He said, " Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in Heaven
to have followed the steps of your guide."

I cast one look at the fields,
then set my face to the town.
He said, " My child, do you yeild?
Will you leave flowers for a crown?"

Then into his hand went mine,
and into my heart came he.
And I walked in a light divine,
The path I feared to see.

I love it so much! I recite it whenever I am in the middle of bustling crowds, or when I get a big breath of automobile, or when I am standing on a bumpy bus. I recite it because that is how I feel, I just want to walk in our fields! I want to go sit by the river and skip stones, climb a tree, go hunting, or milk a cow! I love sitting outside at night watching the stars, and seeing the lightening bugs. But that is not where the Lord wants, or needs me to be.

I would say I am home sick, but not for Missouri. This week we met with so many people that needed help. One of them was abused, another was getting kicked out of her house and  would have to live on the street, so many different situations! And I realized this week, how much I love peace. I love being comfortable. I think as humans we all love it. I realized though, that Jesus Christ, our Master, did not live in comfort. I am sure he did not enjoy not eating for 40 days, I am sure he did not enjoy watching his fellow Jews suffer, and I am positive that the Atonement was also not painless.

Christ said to take up the cross and follow him. That is how we become disciples of Christ. That cross might be a wrong decision, a  test, the MTC, the time spent in doing what the Lord wants us to do, or waiting for something to happen. I do not know what everyone's cross is. I just know that this life is not to be spent in the flowery fields. I know this. There are people that need our help, there are hands that are reaching, and there are lives to be touched. If we are true disciples of Christ we will shoulder that cross and race towards that town, and bring His light with us!

I already expressed this to Carissa, but I am sure that before we came here it was a peaceful place to be. I am sure we all loved and felt the love of others. But I know that the reason we came here was because we knew there would be something better. We knew we were heirs to a higher peace, and that with our Savior, we would find a complete joy. There are bad things that happen, but there is so much more good. There are so many more miracles and blessings. We have to bring that light to people. It was a dark world. Until Christ. Now we know that every wrong, injustice, or hurt will be completely healed. I am so grateful for Heavenly Fathers plan for us! HOPE ON.

Life is so good here! The work is hard, the people are beautiful, and the learning process is long! But God is here too! We have seen so many miracles this week. We were able to serve so many people this week! Heavenly Father is so great and he answers prayers.

I love you all. Elder Fowers, you are great!

Love Sis. Fowers



No comments:

Post a Comment